Château and Saint-Jacques gate

0 vote
Porte à l'entrée de la ville

Reference is made to the château in Cognac as early as the 10th century. It was the favourite residence of the Valois family from Angoulême and François l was born there in 1494.

The Saint-Jacques gate or ’bridge gate’ formed part of the town walls. It used to command a bridge which has now disappeared. It was rebuilt at the end of the 15th century and has remained unchanged to this day.

Back to top